Why It’s So Important to Celebrate Amazing Women Leaders
To understand the importance of International Women’s Day, and the importance of celebrating women in leadership…
…we must take a moment to understand the history of women in leadership, the international women’s rights movement, and International Women’s Day.
The History of International Women’s Day
Since the first gathering in 1911, International Women’s Day (IWD) has been celebrated annually on March 8.
In that time, the women’s rights movement has celebrated many victories, including but not limited to:
- In 1948, the United Nations adopted the first international document to assert “the dignity and worth of the human person and [the] equal rights of men and women.”
- In 1979, the UN General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.
- In 2017, the Women’s March on Washington, DC, became the largest international mass demonstration in support of women’s rights. Affiliated marches were held in Accra, Bangkok, Paris, Nairobi, Belgrade, Buenos Aires, Krakow, and even Antarctica.
Women in Leadership
By 2018, women made up nearly half (46.9%) of the whole US labor force, yet they only accounted for slightly over a third (40.0%) of managers.
In 2019, there were still fewer women in leadership positions than there were men named John.
This is puzzling considering that research conducted by Harvard Business Review found that, “Women Score Higher Than Men in Most Leadership Skills.”
Celebrating Women Leaders
The Ori’Zaba’s Franchise family is proud to have created a culture that celebrates women leaders. We are actively engaging in a hiring and promotional process that increases the number of women in leadership roles.
As of 2020,
- 83% of Ori’Zaba’s Franchise General Managers are women.
- 60% of Ori’Zaba’s Executive Team are women.
There is no doubt that the healthy growth of Ori’Zaba’s Franchise family, since its creation in 2001, is in great part due to these amazing energetic women leaders.
Ladies, on behalf of the whole Ori’Zaba’s Franchise family – thank you!